City of Union -- Trash Collection and Bulk-Trash Pickup
- Containers. Containers cannot exceed 75 pounds. They must have handles and tight-fitting lids. Containers must be placed curbside no earlier than 12 hours before collection start time, which is 7 a.m., and the containers must be removed form the curbside within 12 hours after the end of collection day, which ends at 6 p.m.
- Wheeler Containers. Large 90-gallon trash containers on wheels are available to residents. This service costs $2 extra per month. Please contact us at 937-836-8624 if you would like to arrange for a wheeler.
Yard waste can now be put in regular trash. Effective in 2007, residents can dispose of yard waste with the regular trash. Large branches and yard debris still need to be cut down to a maximum length of 4 feet and bundled no greater than 2 feet in diameter or broken in pieces and placed inside trash cans with lids.
- Recycling. Union's recycling program began in April 1990. Residents may place all glass, aluminum and bi-metal cans, as well as some plastics, newspapers, and gable-top cartons and juice boxes into red recycling containers provided to each residence (some containers may be dark green). If the container is lost or destroyed, replacements may be obtained by contacting us at 937-836-8624. Please remember that the container stays with the residence if you should move. See this list of what recycling is accepted by the trash hauler.
- Holiday Schedule. If your scheduled trash collection day falls on New Year's Day, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, your trash will be collected the day following the holiday. See the 2010 holiday schedule.
- Christmas Tree Disposal. Pickup of used Christmas trees takes place from the end of December through the middle of January. Please place your tree at the end of the curb. It will be picked up by a separate truck and possibly on a day other than regular trash pickup day.
- Bulk Trash Pickup. Bulk-item pickup is limited to one item per week and should be put out on the Tuesday Citywide trash day. You don't need to call the City offices to sign up for this service. Federal mandates now restrict disposal of appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners that contain freon. Information about freon removal may be obtained at the City offices. For disposal of items such as tires, batteries, etc., restrictions also apply, so please check with the City or call Montgomery County's recycling hotline at 937-225-4999. Back to top of page.
Private Hauler Information. Residents, please note: According to Union Code Section 741.15, the collection of residential solid waste or residential rubbish and recycling materials in any quantity by an individual or an establishment is prohibited in any public or private place within the City limits during the term of any collection contract between the City and a private company. According to Union Code Section 741.19, all garbage, kitchen rubbish, household rubbish, yard rubbish, miscellaneous rubbish, household appliances (including but not limited to washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, ovens, microwave ovens, electronic equipment, or television sets) recyclable materials or other salvage materials from residences within the City set out for collection, transportation and/or disposal by the collection agent or refuse hauler shall become the property of the collecting agent or refuse hauler at the point in time that it is set out for collection. No person shall claim, collect, or remove any such materials other than the collecting agent or refuse hauler. Any person who violates this provision shall be subject to the penalty set forth in Union Code Section 741.99. Back to top of page.