Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for the City of Union’s Codified Ordinance

How do I report a soliciting complaint?
When a solicitor knocks on your door, each individual should be able to present to you their solicitor’s permit obtained from the City of Union.  If they cannot present a valid permit or if they knock on your door and you know that you have registered for the Do-Not-Solicit list, call Police Dispatch to report a soliciting violation at 836-2678.

Does Union have a curfew?
Yes. Anyone under the age of 17 shall not be beyond the property line of his or her residential property between the hours specified below unless accompanied by his or her parent, guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of the minor. Curfew Hours: 11:00 p.m. each day to 6:00 a.m. of the following day. The Police Department strictly enforces the curfew laws.

Download: Minors_Curfew_Ordinance.pdf

Can dogs and other animals run loose?
No. According to City Ordinance, no person being the owner or having charge of any dog, whether wearing a registration tag or not, shall permit it to run at large upon any public place or upon the premises of another.

What is the City’s policy on barking or howling dogs?
According to City Ordinance, no person shall keep or harbor any dog within the Municipality, which, by frequent and habitual barking, howling, or yelping, creates unreasonably loud and disturbing noises of such character, intensity and duration as to disturb the peace, quiet and good order of the Municipality.

Number of animals allowed per household?
  (a)  No person shall keep three or more dogs or three or more cats older than three months of age within 150 feet of an inhabited dwelling house, other than the house of the owner or keeper of such dogs or cats.
  (b)  Whoever violates any provision of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.  (Ord. 836.  Passed 11-1-88.)

What is the City’s policy on loud noises in general?
According to City Ordinance, no person shall make, continue or cause to be made by the use of any horn, bell, radio, loudspeaker or the operation of any instrument or device, the playing or rendition of music of any kind, singing, loud talking, amplification of sound or other noise, or otherwise unreasonably loud, disturbing and unnecessary noise of such character, intensity and duration as to disturb the peace and quiet of the community or to be detrimental to the life and health of any individual.

What is the City’s policy on snow emergencies?
During snow emergencies or heavy snow, vehicles must be removed from the street for at least 24 hours to allow crews to remove snow. Heavy snow means a snowfall with an average depth of 2 inches or more; drifting conditions are also considered heavy snow. Vehicles interfering with snow removal operations may be ticketed by police, subjecting the owner to a $30 fine, and/or the vehicle may be impounded by police.

The exact wording of Union Code Section 351.14 on Snow Emergencies, which was passed Feb. 13, 1978, by City Council reads:
(a) No owner of any vehicle shall at any time during and within twenty-four hours following a heavy snow permit such vehicle to be parked upon any of the streets or parts thereof within the City or in any way cause or permit the vehicle to interfere with the snow removal operations of the City or the State Department of Transportation.
(b) “Heavy snow” means a snowfall having an average depth of two inches or more; however, if, in connection with any snowfall, snowdrifts are formed which create a serious obstruction to the movement of motor vehicles, this condition shall be considered the same as “heavy snow.”
(c) Any vehicle so parked which interferes with snow removal operations may be impounded by any police officer and ordered towed to a place of storage at the owner’s expense. Any person desiring to redeem such impounded vehicle may be required to first pay all expenses and storage charges before obtaining possession of the vehicle. Ordinance 447, passed 2-13-78.

What is the City’s policy on ticketing?
The wording of Union Code Section 351.99 on Ticketing, which was passed April 3, 1990, by City Council reads:
Any motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer parked in violation of Union Code Section 351.14 shall be ticketed by leaving a ticket affixed in a visible location upon the vehicle. The owner or operator of the vehicle shall be subject, for a violation of Union Code Section 351.14, to pay a prescribed fine in the sum of thirty dollars ($30.00). The owner or operator of the vehicle may pay the fine to the Police Department within seven days of the ticket. The payment shall be deemed a plea of guilty, waiver of court appearance, and acknowledgement of conviction of the alleged offense, and may be accepted in full satisfaction of the prescribed penalty of the violation. If not paid within the seven-day period, the prescribed fine shall be sixty dollars ($60.00). The payment shall be accepted in full satisfaction of the prescribed penalty of the violation. If payment is not made within thirty days, a charge shall be filed in municipal court, and the Clerk of Courts shall cause the issuance of summons upon the owner of the vehicle as prescribed by law and tax municipal court costs. Payment prior to the issuance of summons as aforesaid shall not be accepted by mail or at the Police Department if the owner or operator has been so convicted of this offense on two previous occasions within sixty days immediately preceding the date of violation. Ordinance 883, passed 4-3-90.