The City of Union has done curbside leaf pickup since 1990. Service begins the Tuesday after Columbus Day in October and thereafter runs Mondays through mid-November. In inclement weather, crews may skip days, but they will go back to pick up the rest of the leaves on a route when the weather improves. A few tips:
1. Leaves must be raked in elongated rows onto the street in front of the curb.
2. Rows must not exceed 4 feet in height or 6 feet in width.
3. Remove objects such as rocks, tree limbs and branches from leaf piles. Leaf piles with this type of debris won’t be picked up to avoid damaging equipment.
4. For safety reasons, children should not play in leaf piles at the street.
5. Please remove vehicles from the street during collection time. The leaf loader is unable to maneuver in small areas such as between parked cars or around them. Leaves cannot be picked up in these areas, and the City will be unable to make a special trip back. Have the cars moved for the following week, and the leaves will be picked up then.
6. If you miss a pickup or believe your street was missed, please wait until next week’s pickup—please do not call the City for a special leaf pickup because to do so would be cost-prohibitive to the program. Delays may occur due to huge volumes of leaves, bad weather or equipment malfunction. Leaves will be picked up as soon as possible in the fastest, most productive method. For this reason, crews cannot deviate from their scheduled route.
7. Residents who prefer to bag their leaves may place them in 35-gallon trash bags. Place the bags with the leaves next to your trash cans (not in the cans) on trash collection day.
LEAF COLLECTION STARTS ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2016 AND WILL RUN UNTIL THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 14, 2016.