RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS
MEETING OF COUNCIL
The City of Union council meeting was called to order by Mayor Goudy on February 23, 2009 at 7:30 p.m. on Monday.
Attendance was taken and the following council members were present: Mr. Bruns, Mrs. Kyle, Mayor Goudy, Mr. O’Callaghan, Mr. Blackwell, and Mrs. Perkins.
Other city staff members present were John P. Applegate, City Manager, Denise Winemiller, Clerk of Council, and Joe Moore, Law Director.
Mayor Goudy called for a moment of silence.
Mayor Goudy said she needed to make a brief announcement. She had received a phone call that night from Mrs. Terry. Mayor Goudy said at this time Mrs. Terry’s intentions are that she will submit her resignation due to personal and family health matters. She will be submitting a written letter of resignation and at that time, Mrs. Goudy will notify the council.
There was no motion made to excuse Mrs. Terry’s absence from the council meeting.
1. Mayor Goudy asked if there were any corrections or additions of the council minutes from the February 9, 2009 council meeting. There were no corrections so Mr. Bruns moved that the minutes be accepted as prepared. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. Mayor Goudy abstained and the other council members voted in favor of the motion. The council minutes were accepted as prepared.
2. Citizens and Visitor’s Comments
There were no comments from the citizens and visitors in the audience.
3. SECOND READING – ORDINANCE 1466 - AN ORDINANCE PROVIDING FOR THE ISSUANCE OF $425,000 FIRE TRUCK ACQUISITION BOND ANTICIPATION NOTES BY THE CITY OF UNION, OHIO, IN ANTICIPATION OF THE ISSUANCE OF BONDS, FOR THE PURPOSE OF PAYING THE COST OF ACQUIRING A FIRE TRUCK. (three readings)
Mr. Bruns moved to have the second reading of Ordinance 1466. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All concurred and the motion was passed. Ordinance 1466 was passed to the third reading.
4. Open Agenda
Mayor Goudy extended her apologies for not attending the last meeting. She said it was due to an unfortunate circumstance that she hoped would not happen again.
Mayor Goudy asked about the salt supply and Mr. Applegate said they were doing well on that.
Mr. Bruns wanted to comment about the list of volunteers for the festival. He said he was very disappointed with the number of volunteers which was 27, and of those, 19 of them were council members, park board members or city employees. There were only eight citizen volunteers and he said he felt that said something about the festival.
Mr. Applegate said that he had distributed a memo with copies of a survey on the Toll Road Festival that was being mailed to all of the residents in their utility bills.
5. Executive session to discuss pending litigation. No action will be taken afterwards.
Mayor Goudy moved that the council adjourn into an executive session to discuss pending litigation. The motion included inviting Mr. Applegate, Mrs. Winemiller, and Mr. Moore to attend the executive session. Mayor Goudy also said that there would be no action taken after the executive session. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and the motion was passed. The council adjourned into an executive session.
After the executive session, Mr. O’Callaghan moved that the council reconvene from the executive session. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and the council meeting was reconvened.
6. Mr. O’Callaghan moved that the council meeting be adjourned. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and the council meeting was adjourned.
Denise A. Winemiller, Clerk of Council
Michael O’Callaghan, Vice Mayor