RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS
MEETING OF COUNCIL
The City of Union council meeting was called to order by Vice Mayor Michael O’Callaghan on October 14, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
Attendance was taken and the following council members were present: Mr. Bruns, Mr. O’Callaghan, Mr. Blackwell, and Mrs. Perkins.
Other city staff members present were John Applegate, City Manager, Denise Winemiller, Clerk of Council, Joe Moore, Law Director, and Michael Blackwell, Public Safety Director.
Mr. O’Callaghan said that Mayor Goudy was ill and he moved that her absence be excused. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and her absence was excused.
Mr. O’Callaghan said that Mrs. Terry had hurt her foot and was unable to come to the meeting. He moved that her absence be excused. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and Mrs. Terry’s absence was excused.
Mr. O’Callaghan said that Mrs. Kyle had called in and was ill and he moved that her absence be excused. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and Mrs. Kyle’s absence was excused.
Mr. O’Callaghan called for a moment of silence.
1. Mr. O’Callaghan asked if there were any corrections or additions on the council minutes from the September 22, 2008 council meeting. There were no corrections so Mr. O’Callaghan moved that the minutes be accepted as prepared. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All concurred and the September 22, 2008 City of Union council minutes were accepted as prepared.
2. There were no comments from the visitors and citizens in the audience.
3. ONE READING – RESOLUTION 08-10 - A RESOLUTION SUPPORTING AND ENCOURAGING GENERAL MOTORS TO REINVEST IN THE GM MORAINE ASSEMBLY PLANT LOCATED AT 2601 STROOP ROAD.
Mr. Applegate said that at the last Mayor and Manager’s meeting, the Mayor and City Manager of Moraine asked those in attendance at the meeting if they would pass this resolution.
Mr. Bruns moved to have the one and only reading and adopt Resolution 08-10. Mrs. Perkins seconded the motion. All concurred and Resolution 08-10 was adopted.
4. PROCLAMATION FOR 2008 NATIONAL BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH.
Mr. Bruns moved to proclaim October as National Breast Cancer Awareness month. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All of the council members voted in favor of the motion, supporting the proclamation.
5. Open Agenda
Mr. O’Callaghan said he wanted to offer his condolences to the friends and family of Tommy Miller. He said he was a big supporter of the City of Union and he wanted to thank him.
Mrs. Perkins said she thought the Homearama was very well organized and she was very pleased with the City of Union booth. She said it was nice to see all the people attending the Homearama and she said the event was well done.
Mr. Blackwell wanted to extend his condolences to the Tom Miller family.
Mr. Bruns said that Tommy Miller had helped the city annex across the river and Mr. Miller was very pleased to have the Miami County Homearama held in the Stoneycrest Development. Mr. Bruns added that the city would miss him.
Mr. Applegate said he had know Tommy Miller all of his life and that he was a good friend. He said he was a huge supporter of the City of Union and was the driving force to get the city to run the water lines across the river.
Mr. Applegate said if Mr. Miller saw the city crews doing any work, he was always willing to offer additional equipment to make their jobs easier.
6. Mr. Bruns moved that the council meeting be adjourned. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All concurred and the October 14, 2008 City of Union council meeting was adjourned.
Denise A. Winemiller, Clerk of Council
Michael O’Callaghan, Vice Mayor