RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS
MEETING OF COUNCIL
The May 10, 2010 City of Union council meeting was called to order by Mayor Goudy on Monday night at 7:30.
Attendance was taken and the following council members were present: Mr. Bruns, Mrs. Oberer, Mayor Goudy, Mr. O’Callaghan, Mr. Blackwell, and Mrs. Perkins.
Other city staff members present were John Applegate, City Manager, Denise Winemiller, Clerk of Council, and Joe Moore, Law Director.
Mayor Goudy asked for a moment of silence.
1. Mayor Goudy asked if there were any additions or corrections from the council minutes from the April 26, 2010 council meeting. There were no corrections so Mr. Bruns moved that the council minutes be approved. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and the council minutes were accepted as prepared.
2. Citizens and Visitor’s Comments
Mayor Goudy asked if there were any comments from the citizens and visitors in the audience. There were no comments.
Mayor Goudy said that Mrs. Kyle was with a family member who had undergone surgery so she moved that Mrs. Kyle’s absence be excused. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and her absence was excused.
Mayor Goudy also said that they would need to amend the agenda so Mr. O’Callaghan moved to amend the council agenda for the May 10, 2010 council meeting. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All concurred and the council agenda was amended.
3. SECOND READING – ORDINANCE 1495 – AN ORDINANCE EXPRESSING THE CITY’S INTENT TO NEGOTIATE JOINTLY WITH OTHER CITIES IN THE REGION ON ONE PRICE SCHEDULE UNDER WHICH ELECTRIC LIGHT SERVICES SHALL BE FURNISHED TO THE RESIDENTS OF THE CITY FOR THE PURPOSE OF STREET LIGHTING. (three readings)
Mr. Bruns moved that they have the second reading of Ordinance 1495. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All concurred and Ordinance 1495 was passed to the third reading.
4. ONE READING – RESOLUTION 10-04 – A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZNG THE PROVISION OF CITY OF UNION WATER AND SANITARY SEWER SERVICES TO TERRITORY ZONED LIGHT INDUSTRIAL AS PART OF THE CITY’S JOB’S READY SITE GRANT APPLICATION PER THE GRANT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS ESTABLISHED BY THE OHIO DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENT.
Mr. Applegate said that at the last council meeting, he had mentioned that the city had started the application process for a Jobs Ready Site Grant. One of the items needed to complete the application is a resolution from the city council. The adoption of Resolution 10-04 is part of the requirements for the Job Ready Site Grant application due by May 14, 2010.
Mr. Bruns moved that they have the one and only reading and adopt Resolution 10-04. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and the Resolution 10-04 was adopted.
5. ONE READING – RESOLUTION 10-05 – A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE CITY MANAGER TO PREPARE AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM FOR F/Y 2010 AND TO EXECUTE CONTRACTS AS REQUIRED.
Mr. Applegate said this application for grant money would be for adding wheel chair curb cuts and ramps in the city. Mr. Bruns asked if this Community Block Grant would be for specific neighborhoods or areas. Mr. Applegate said generally these grants are based on income and they have to take surveys in the area but in this case, since this concerns handicapped accessible ramps, the grant is not based on income. Mr. Applegate added that this application needs to be submitted by the end of the week.
Mr. Bruns moved that they have the one and only reading and adopt Resolution 10-05. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and Resolution 10-05 was passed on the first reading.
6. Open Agenda
Mayor Goudy said that she had noticed the landscaping where the basketball courts had been installed at the site of Martindale Road Park. Mr. Applegate said they would be getting signs and still adding shelters with game tables, fencing, and low level lighting between the parking lot and the basketball courts. He said there will continue to be some improvements in the next couple of months. Mayor Goudy said the park was looking very nice.
No one else had any comments for the open agenda portion of the council meeting.
7. Mr. O’Callaghan moved that the council meeting be adjourned. Mayor Goudy seconded the motion. All concurred and the council meeting was adjourned.
Denise A. Winemiller, Clerk of Council
Michael O’Callaghan, Vice Mayor