RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS
MEETING OF COUNCIL
Mayor Goudy called the July 12, 2010 City of Union council meeting to order on Monday evening at 7:30.
Attendance was taken and the following council members were present: Mr. Bruns, Mrs. Oberer, Mayor Goudy, Mr. O’Callaghan, and Mr. Blackwell.
Other city staff members present were John P. Applegate, City Manager, Denise Winemiller, Clerk of Council, and Joe Moore, Law Director.
Mayor Goudy asked for a moment of silence.
1. Mayor Goudy asked if there were any additions or corrections on the council minutes from the June 28, 2010 meeting. There were no corrections so Mr. Bruns moved that the June 28, 2010 council minutes be accepted as prepared. Mr. Blackwell seconded the motion. All concurred and the minutes were accepted as prepared.
Mayor Goudy said Mrs. Perkins had informed the council at the last meeting that she would be out of town for the July 12th meeting. She moved that her absence be excused. Mr. Bruns seconded the motion. All concurred and her absence was excused.
Mayor Goudy said that Mrs. Kyle had called her and was unable to attend the meeting due to a back injury. Mayor Goudy moved that Mrs. Kyle be excused from attending the meeting. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and Mrs. Kyle’s absence was excused.
2. Mayor Goudy asked if there were any comments from the citizens and visitors in the audience. There were no comments.
3. Motion to approve the Asking FY/2011 Budget recommended by the Budget Committee.
Mr. Applegate said he had briefly discussed the budget with the council at the last meeting. He had met with the budget committee and the staff recommended the passage of this asking FY/2011 budget. He said the asking budget was $7,354,465.00 which was less than the year before. Mr. Applegate said he thought Mr. Bruns had a comment concerning the budget.
Mr. Bruns said the Budget Committee had met and gone over the budget line by line. He said the committee was in agreement and he recommended that the budget be approved.
Mr. Bruns then moved to approve the Asking FY/2011 budget as recommended by the Budget Committee. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and the Asking FY/2011 Budget was adopted.
4. THIRD READING – ORDINANCE 1496 - AN ORDINANCE AWARDING A CONTRACT TO RUMPKE WASTE INC. FOR REFUSE COLLECTION WITHIN THE CITY OF UNION. (three readings)
Mr. Bruns moved to have the third and final reading and adopt Ordinance 1496. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and Ordinance 1496 was adopted.
5. THIRD READING – ORDINANCE 1497 – AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 741.17 OF THE UNION CODE, RELATING TO SOLID WASTE COLLECTION. (three readings)
Mr. Bruns moved to have the third and final reading and adopt Ordinance 1497. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and Ordinance 1497 was adopted.
6. ONE READING – ORDINANCE 1499 - AN ORDINANCE PROVIDING FOR THE ISSUANCE OF $103,000 MAINTENANCE VEHICLE BOND ANTICIPATION NOTES BY THE CITY OF UNION, OHIO, IN ANTICIPATION OF THE ISSUANCE OF BONDS, FOR THE PURPOSE OF PAYING THE COST OF ACQUIRING MAINTENANCE VEHICLES, INCLUDING A STREET SWEEPER, SKID STEER AND RELATED ACCESSORIES THERETO, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY. (First Renewal)
Mr. Applegate said this note issue was passed last year going through three readings. This was the first renewal of the note issue and this year, the notes can be passed as an emergency. These funds were used to purchase the street sweeper and the Bobcat loader.
Mr. Bruns moved that Ordinance 1499 be declared an emergency for the reasons set forth in the ordinance. Mrs. Oberer seconded the motion. All concurred and the motion was passed.
Mr. Bruns then moved to have the one and only reading and adopt Emergency Ordinance 1499. Mrs. Oberer seconded the motion. All concurred and Emergency Ordinance 1499 was adopted on the first reading.
7. Open Agenda
Mayor Goudy commented that the city crews had been able to keep up with the mowing and other activities despite the continuing rain and working on the major sewer project. She asked Mr. Applegate about the status of the project.
Mr. Applegate said they were within three hundred feet of being done with the sewer line. They would still need to clean up the area and hoped to get the road opened as soon as possible.
Mr. Bruns reminded everyone that the next council meeting would be on August 9. There would be no second council meeting in July and August.
8. Mayor Goudy moved that the council meeting be adjourned. Mr. O’Callaghan seconded the motion. All concurred and the July 12, 2010 City of Union council meeting was adjourned.
Denise A. Winemiller, Clerk of Council
Michael O’Callaghan, Vice Mayor